Not this one!
This is the drunken cable border with a pie crust cable center panel. It still looks bunchy and sloppy to me. I am not a fan.
Next I tried a ribbed cable, something I'd seen in the Vogue Stitchionary but had never tried. A commercial sweater that I have, with an oversized cable, utilizes this technique. It also employs other cheater methods to give the appearance of a cable where there isn't one though, so I wasn't sold on the idea.
I used the idea of the drunken cable, but instead of crossing 9 over 9, I crossed 9 ribbed over 9 ribbed. It looks much much nicer. The cables lay relatively flat and seem pretty defined.
So the winner is this one.
I tried different numbers of rows between the cables. I think this distance works the best.
And I think I will have to use three columns across instead of two.
I'm currently working out how I want to make the increases/decreases for the sleeves. I think I'm going to knit this from the top down. I'm going to knit one more swatch to see how wide three repeats of the cable will be and to make sure I like how it looks worked upside down.
I'm so close!